Saturday, December 15, 2018

Art Critics, November 10 2018, Blue Ridge VA

There is a painting in this room, on the wall beside me, and I sang a little song about it yesterday:

"It's really weird / I don't like this painting / Oh well."

Sorry, "R. Young".
It doesn't look loved. The technique is colloquial and inconsistent. A cheap escheat. A Paris street "because that sells", I can almost hear the jaded artist say. There is a tiny passage I can stomach: two women walking into the obscuring mist. There might be a part of the sky I can like as well.

If you're going to paint with a palette knife, show us what it can do. Shortening can be cut into biscuits with more artistry. I am being very critical. Is this what critics do? Make a game, build or topple a career? I feel like someone tasting wine or coffee and imagining what is sophisticated or interesting to say, "Those fruity notes" "satiny finish" "chocolate undertones".

No comments:

Post a Comment