Monday, March 30, 2020

Febrifuge, Train from NYC to NJ, February 25 2020

No more
confidence in healing. In my own
talent to stay calm. I have worked
myself ill. Awake when every inch
needs rest, for thinking.
And have not remembered -
                          I am held. Every hair,
counted. Numbered and loved,
despite my brittle.

It is infectious, she said, as panic:  peace.

Only surrendered am I free.
Our bodies on the subway sway,
sweating under coats,
are rocking, looking down, mouths covered,
hooded, close. Barely brushing the sleeve,
immortal soul.

Meeting eyes in reflections, fluorescence.
Puddles in the corners,
urine, tar, and rain.
Leeching our fear and reverence. Father.
Unapproachable or so tender.

If we all were weeds,
growing green in the chinks,
we would be crushed. But we
would split the rock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment