Friday, October 26, 2018

Yellow Jacket, September 14 2018

I woke up early, went outside briefly. And I just had this nightmarish experience of a buzzing fly in my sleeve. I started to carefully unbutton the sleeve to free it, only to see it escape along my arm - a yellow jacket - and go buzzing around my room. I must have picked it up by the flowers outside, an hour ago?! It's truly amazing it didn't sting me.

Later
I found the yellow jacket on my window. I spent rather a long time trying to coach it outside. It was a weary little thing. I felt an obligation to it, though I also noted a callous urge in my impatience, to squash it and have done. But I made a tenuous, sort of sacred decision to be gentle. To save it. To wait a bit while it preened and adjusted itself. Finally I trapped it on the outside of the glass, on the screen just above the opening. I left it to find its way.


No comments:

Post a Comment