Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Sign of Jonah

Matthew 16:4 NIV

"A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous sign,
but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah..."

I dreamed I had crocodiles inside me. My abdomen was a parched bed of earth, and we poured a bucket of water over it. As it soaked down into me and the dirt turned to mud, many small crocodiles began to squirm and wriggle about. It was painful. I was torn between wanting more water, enough to release them and let them slide away, and wanting to endure their activity until the mud dried and they grew quiet again.
One croc, near the surface, was so large and painful that I reached in through my navel and found my fingers inside his stomach. I felt around until I knew the tissue was his, and then I dug in and tore him to death with my fingernails. His writhing was awful. Although I couldn't feel his teeth, the stretching of his open jaws and the rough spines along his body were terrible. When he died, I realized I was still stuck with his body inside me; it would tear me if I pulled him out. His body lay transverse from above my left hip to under my right ribs.
Happily I woke up after that. I don't know what I "should" have done, or what the "sign" means. I'm inclined now to choose water, to dissolve myself to mud and set the crocodiles free. It seems a very, "If your right hand causes you to sin" kind of situation.
How do we deal with our sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment