Sunday, August 10, 2014

Iraq (every pair of eyes is overwhelming)


Nazarene
you're calling me
until you can 
see my cheekbones
you can see, you can see my
neck bones
none of this oh, oh,
none of this is OK, 
no

every drop from your mouth, every drop
let me catch it on my tongue
this milk my very marrow, many many times before I tried to chew up
more than I could bite or swallow
kissed the bark until the leaves dropped off 
your face's planes, your plain face something pure 
if not eternal, what? wipe out the bowl, that grin off your face,
that levity around water
are you crisping up by the heater? or grown warm?
you man-of-war,
you're boring holes, I can't hold this, 
I can't hold on, O mother, 
Daddy, lift me down 
I climbed so high 
I couldn't see the ground
and every pair of eyes 
is overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment